Monday, November 3, 2008

Medical Mysteries

Well we have had a couple medical issues come up lately and I wanted to see if any of you have had any similar problems and maybe I could get some ideas on what to do.
The first one is Kelsi and a pretty simple thing. She has flat feet, really flat feet. We took her to a podiatrist last week and this is how he explained it to me. When you start walking around 1 your feet will be about 7 degrees off from normal. Each year that your child grows they should lose a degree as their feet move, so by the time they are 7 it should be a 0 degree for normal foot. Kelsi is at a 8 degree right now, she should be around a 1 or 2. They podiatrist wants to put custom molded lifts in her shoes to help "train" her feet to stay in the position they are suppose to be. But they cost over $300 for these lifts and we will have to replace them as she grows, every couple of years. We put some normal lifts in her feet now to help her with the pain when she is walking, the custom molded ones are suppose to help with the training of her foot. What I am wondering is if anyone has had any experience with flat feet and what they did. I of course dont want her in pain and if the lifts will help we will of course get them, I am wondering if there was other alternatives out there as well. Any suggestions?

The second thing is with me, for a year now I have had issues with my heart racing and spontaneous times. Walking around the house, walking up the stairs ect. I have several "small" episodes daily. These include my heart racing for a few minutes then stopping. This has been happening for a year or so so I have just gotten use to them. The "long" issues usually last a half an hour, they include my heart racing, next going to dizziness, headaches and finally burning in my chest. I only have these maybe once a month. I have seen a cardiologist and I am wearing a ECG monitor all month this month to record any events. Once I have recorded these I send them to the cardiologist and he will review the data. He is going to help me figure out what these symptoms may be. It could be nothing at all and I am making a mole hill out of an ant hill. Or it could be somthing small like the electonic signals are getting messed up. If that is the case they can go in and deaden the nerves so they stop sending the incorrect signals and it would stop. I am wondering if this is a getting older sympton and I am in denial over getting older. Have any of you had any similar experiences.

4 comments:

The Dipo's said...

That's no fun about your heart racing still. I was hoping that it stopped after the pregnancy, because you never mentioned it after that. I hope they get it figured out for you. Lily had to wear "braces" in her shoes because of her flat feet to "train" a curve. I don't know if she wears them anymore. I'll have to ask Joni.

Unknown said...

I don't have any experience with either. I wish I could help. I didn't know you were still having the racing heart after having Tori. I'm sorry, that must be a pain. I hope they figure it out soon. Same with Kels!

Dave and Makele Moore Family said...

I actually have flat feet. I knew of it when I was little and growing up, but my parents did nothing. I then got pregnant and my hips would rotate and pop out of joint. The specialist I was going to sent me to Physical Therapy and there they taught me stretches to do. Long story short, I also was told to do a molded prosthetic to help my feet from turning in and give me an arch. I always have to wear shoes with a good arch or place these in. They don't always fit, so I just deal with it for a little while. It has helped me a lot. Just keep her in shoes all day, which is hard and wear hardly any sandals. Replace tennis shoes often, so they don't get worn out. Call me and I will talk more about it. Sorry for such a long explanation.

Rachel said...

Are you still having issues with your heart? If so I would find a Chiropractor in your area that sells Standard Process nutrition and get on Cataplex B. It's an organically grown WHOLE food complex that feeds the heart the B vitamins it needs. The heart is the most responsive organ in the body to proper nutrition. Just don't use synthetic B's (pretty much anything you buy at the store) because that can actually make the problem worse and cause more of a deficiency. Search Standard Process online and from their website you can find a practitioner in your area. Your issue is definitely not a sign of getting older because you're not "older" yet! Maybe when your 80!